Designated Safeguarding Lead: Mark Wright
Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead: Claire Fyfe
Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead: Michelle Whittaker
Safeguarding is a key priority at Mill House School. We are committed to effectively promoting the safety and wellbeing of children and young people protecting them from harm.
Mill House School has a comprehensive Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy, related procedures and staff training programme that incorporates Government and Policy legislation. Safeguarding themes are understood all staff and particular training is given to:
- bullying and cyberbullying
- child on child abuse
- sexual harassment
- online activity and social media
- gang culture
- county lines
- child sexual exploitation
- child criminal exploitation
- extremism and radicalisation
- promoting British Values
All staff are provided with a copy of Mill House School’s Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy and the DfE’s guidance ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ (2023). Parents/carers, partner schools, social workers and placing authorities are offered a copy of our school’s policy.
The school delivers a comprehensive staff training programme on child protection and safeguarding; all staff receive training on their induction which is then supplemented with regular ongoing training updates.
Mill House School’s policy sets out clear expectations and guidelines for staff. All staff are aware of their responsibilities for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people.
Mill House School takes very seriously its duty of care and will pass on any child protection and safeguarding to the relevant children’s social care services.
Keeping children and young people safe:
- robust safer recruitment procedures, developed in line with safeguarding requirements and recommendations
- all adults who work with our young people undertake an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check prior to appointment
- the headteacher and senior leaders are Designated Safeguarding Leads having undergone Designated Safeguarding Training which is refreshed annually
- all staff receive annual safeguarding training with regular updates
- we work in partnership with key local and national agencies involved in safeguarding
- the school delivers a comprehensive training programme for all staff
- our PSHE and RSE programme help children develop their understanding of keeping safe
- robust monitoring and evaluation procedures ensure that policy and procedures are appropriately implemented, evaluated and reviewed.
Concerns relating to safeguarding are always taken seriously.
All staff, volunteers and visitors to the school are expected to immediately report any safeguarding concerns in line with the school’s Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy.